English speaking Dutchies

10-03-2014 21:26 467 berichten
Alle reacties Link kopieren
For Dutchies who live in England or in any other English speaking country and for people who just like to speak the language.

All welcome.

There's tea and biscuits. Fish and chips, scones and pasties.

So far there are no native speakers, so mistakes will happen.

More than often in my case

Enjoy!
quote:prior schreef op 10 maart 2014 @ 22:35:

@ scamp I do not like to be read in a yorkie accent. Could you change mine to Welsh :p ?

And yeah he learn so quickly he already tells me bye mummy I love you and all when I go off to work.

Well I wish you all a very nice evening but I'm off to bed.

I won't tell Scampman about the Welsh, he dislikes it very much, so to speak

Every time I read your name now I will hear: Postcode lotterrrryyyyyyy in a Welsh accent. That was an advert on tv here haha

It's so cute when little ones start to speak English

Goodnight love! (love is a word everyone here uses for girls/women )
That's what I thought Scamp. But it's just a work-related dinner with some colleagues. Hardly something that needs inspiration, one would think. We'll see.
De maatschappij maakt jou echt niet gek, dat doe je zelf veel beter (bootje_op_de_golven)
I remember being in Yorkshire and thinking everyone was flirting with me because they all called me love. Little did I know
De maatschappij maakt jou echt niet gek, dat doe je zelf veel beter (bootje_op_de_golven)
quote:ricochet schreef op 10 maart 2014 @ 22:40:

I remember being in Yorkshire and thinking everyone was flirting with me because they all called me love. Little did I know

I still feel really important when someone calls me love

That means: I make it into something important to feel better.

Oh, by the way, when are you coming over for that cup of tea?
Whenever it suits you love

I'm off to Bedfordshire. Good night everyone!
I watched a youtube clip to hear a yorkshire accent. I'm quite able to understand it. I think it sounds funny! The Belfast accent is horrible!!! Once i was talking to a guy in a pub and i thought i forgot how to understand the English language. The combination with the loud music and the accent made it quite impossible to understand.
Anytime you want, pet <-- from another part in England

Never been in Bedfordshire.

Night night Rico
I'm also off to bed! Sleep tight!
I love the Yorkshire accent!

The love of my life is from there .
Hahaha maybe he needed inspiration or better said motivation, for a work related dinner. As in, trying to make the best out of it.

That's cute when everyone calls you love, reminds me of the movies.

Fun to discover how many people here are actually living outside of holland.
Don't let the bed bugs bite, Tv

Sorchaaaa

How is your cat doing?

Elfje, I found out after I moved to the UK that a lot of people on Viva live outside of NL.

I never knew.
I've returned from a year abroad 2 weeks ago. I really enjoyed being able to speak my favourite language all day. So hi, I hope I'm welcome in this topic, even though I do not live outside of The Netherlands at this point.

And don't mind if I do accept a cup of tea
Have you ever heard the Glaswegian accent? They say that a lot of their words looks like Dutch but I can't recognize them! Hard to understand but love to hear it!
Hi Nuo, you are very very welcome here.

Sugar? Milk or lemon?
quote:Scamp schreef op 10 maart 2014 @ 22:51:

Don't let the bed bugs bite, Tv

Sorchaaaa

How is your cat doing?

Elfje, I found out after I moved to the UK that a lot of people on Viva live outside of NL.

I never knew.

The cat is improving every day! He actually tries to fight us when it's time to give him his medicine, but I see this as a good thing. The last week he has been so meek, just letting everything happen to him. He also flexed his toes today and he has been using his back legs to get himself into his basket.

There are quite a lot of Viva ladies living outside of the Netherlands. I think I like hanging around here so much because I can keep in touch with popular stuff in the Netherlands this way.
Sorcha, that is amazing news, I'm so very happy for you!

It's the same for me. I read the Dutch news every day, just to stay in the loop.
Makes sense though don't you think? For me it's also a way to keep up with my Dutch. God knows my Dutch sucks by now, and my familie and Dutch friends always make fun of my foreign expressions that I translate into Dutch. I don't even know that I say something wrong halve of the time.

I'm a bit scared of what kind of Dutch I will teach my little one.

Maybe I should open another topic and invite Dutch teachers to it, as I hardly remember any of the grammar. I try to do the d,t thing correctly by using smurf
Oooooh this is so much fun! I'm currently still living in the Netherlands (hate it when people say Holland), but hopefully I will be moving to the lovely county of Bedfordshire somewhere after summer. My boyfriend is English, so that's why! According to all of his friends my English sounds very posh and at work I do get asked quite often if I'm English (I must say I'm quite proud of that, because my family has the worst Dutch accents ever).

I would love to have some Cadbury chocolate right now! Best chocolate ever!
Hahaha upwiththebirds I had the same opinion about holland/the Netherlands. Until I found out that the people here don't even know their equivelant to the Netherlands and ask me if it's in Europe

For the picture, I live in an European country. Not that far away. But now I say holland, or amsterdam. After all amsterdam is a country for some people (especially Americans)
Elfje, I always get laughed at by relatives. My Dutch sucks.

Last night I couldn't even come up with the word for raspberry.

Mom, you know.. them pink fruits, berries.
Haha yeah that's what I keep telling people every time. When I told someone that I was Dutch she was like: "oh so you are from Denmark?"

But Americans are worse. I am always really surprised that they barely know a thing about Europe.
Hahaha I know that feeling.

A while ago I was shopping with my mom and I said 'ik ga het even aan proberen'

I lived a couple of years in Germany, and although now I live somewhere else I still make German mistakes. (Among others)
Americans think we are from Germany when we say we're Dutch
But can you imagine that I once went out to buy stamps and the envelop said the equivelant of 'the Netherlands' and the girl asked me, is that in Europe!?!?!??

Okay at that point I thought, this girl works in a tobacco shop, maybe she isn't that bright.

Until I got the same question by someone working at the city hall another time. Someone that just deals with foreign affairs?! Talking about embarrassing.
Yeah this whole Dutch / deutsch thing. Is it really that hard to understand?

I mean either we speak English and we are talking about Dutch, or we speak in German. But they randomly mix it, and don't get what's wrong with the picture.

There is an excellent YouTube movie about it though. Do you know it? Wait I'll look it up.........

Dit is een oud topic. Het topic is daarom gesloten.
Maak een nieuw topic aan om verder praten over dit onderwerp.

Terug naar boven